Ovarian cyst
3 Replies
lyly14 - November 24

Hi Dr. Jacobs- I have a question for you that I hope you can offer some insight.

I am about to start my first IVF cycle. I was on active birth control pills for 4 weeks and 10 units of lupron for the past 7 days. The lupron and the bcp overlapped for 4 days. Today I went in to see my RE for my baseline u/s and estradiol levels. The RE found a cyst on my left ovary. He said anything under 20 would be fine but mine was 25 and is not sure if I can continue. I have never had a cyst before, even after 4 cycles of clomid and 1 cycle on gonal-f I never formed any cysts. The last medicated cycle was in july and there were no cysts after that cycle. He wants me to come back in Monday morning for another u/s. and possibly estradiol level ( pending the results of todays level). I have two questions:

1. Any thoughts as to why I would have developed a cyst, when I have never had one before? Do you think starting the bcp almost a week after having a period can impact the formation of a cyst?
2. Do I have any shot of this cyst getting any smaller by monday?

I understand that you cannot give me a definitive answer on any of these questions, but I would appreciate your opinion. My RE was very suprised at the cyst himself and really didn't understand why I would all of sudden have one. I would appreciate any opinion you can offer. Thanks so much for you time.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - November 24

It is possible to have follicle growth on birth control pills - especially the low dose pills. The first thing Lupron does is to cause the pituitary gland to dump all the LH and FSH it has stored. Those hormones can stimulate a middle sized follicle to become a cyst. Please just be patient. Within 2 menstrual cycles, 98% of all ovarian cysts in reproductive age women go away all by themselves. Short of needle aspiration or surgery, there is no treatment which will make them go away faster.
Good luck.

lyly14 - November 24

Thank you so much for the info. Would this be likely to happen again when I am able to resume the IVF?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - November 25

Perhaps, but I have no way of predicting. Over a period of time, the cyst should go away.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?