hysteroscopy
2 Replies
AMITHIS - October 19

Dear Dr. Jacobs,

I recently conferred with a new RE and will proceed to do an IVF cycle out of state in Jan. Due to the fact that past hysteroscopies had located fibroids and some scar tissue, he told me I should have a repeat one done prior to the IVF and that it was something I could have my local Ob/Gyn do....that I don't need a RE to do it.

Well, I set up the procedure and went in today for the pre-op appointment only to find out the Ob/gyn requires bowel prep (32 osmoprep tablets) the day prior to the procedure. This seems crazy to me as I've had several of these done in the past with no preparation other than avoiding food/fluid from midnight the night before due to the anesthesia.

Is this fairly common practice or highly unusual? I almost feel that I'm at greater risk of kidney damage or dehydration from the prep. than anything else! This is scheduled for Fri. and I'm really uncertain about what to do.

Thanks for your opinion.

Staci

AMITHIS - October 19

Dr. Jacobs,

I guess my other question is a "hysteroscopy with D&C" (that is what my Dr. is calling the procedure) the same thing as an Operative hysteroscopy?

I am really worried I've gotten myself signed up for the wrong procedure.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - October 19

A hysteroscopy allows us to visualize the uterine cavity, and very selectively do certain things, like remove polyps. I do not do both procedures on anyone, at the same time.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?