Egg
4 Replies
legend118 - December 26

I am in the military and I'm in the process of going through an IVF procedure off base in Japan. Hence the problem. It is very hard getting information or understanding completely what is going on with the culture/language differences.

Okay here are my questions/concerns. I want to try to make sure our doctor does not just go through the IVF steps if it is known the eggs are not mature or will most likely not mature. Also, if there is anything we can do at this stage to help our chances.

I've been reading a lot of information on this site (and others) and found out that it looks like we are doing a day 3 transfer (I ha dnbo idea until now). That being said, I am going to ask them what success or if they even have the capability for blastocyst; given the fact I have read a lot of information regarding the higher sucess rate.

My wife is schedule for the egg removal in 2 days. I am a little concerned because he informed me she did not react well with to medicine (she was taking FSH and Suprecur - GnRH) and only have a few follicles (eggs) survive (so far); one 18cm, one 14cm and the other only 9cm. He said most likely it is due to her insulin problem. My main concern is he will continue with the procedure even if it will not succeed and basically say sorry did you want to try again.

Do you feel assisted hatching or blastocyst would be a good option for us given we will probably only have one maybe two mature eggs? I understand the eggs might not make it to that stage but if they don't aren't we in essense saving our time/money since they would have most likely not suceeded in her body?

I know we are pretty far along with the process but any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - December 26

I cannot give you advice about the program you are using, because I do not know their capabilities. If they cannot grow embryos to blastocyst, you will have to do a day 3 transfer. I let our embryo lab director determine if assisted hatching will provide a benefit. As far as timing of retrieval, that depends on the protocol being used and the judgement of the physician. The information on our web page. <www.texasfertility.com>, may provide you with some help, but yours are very specific questions related to you, and the program you are using.
Good luck.

legend118 - December 26

Sir thank you for your reply. I understand I had some specific questions so maybe I can a little more general. If my wife only has one maybe 2 eggs that mature and the hospital we are at has cytoblast capabilities do you think this would be our best option?

Also, how much does high insulin play a role when it comes to the IVF procedure?

I read something about asking your doctor about ther grade of your embryos during its development. If we are told our 1 or 2 embros are grade 3 (unevem cell division/moderate fragmenation or 4 (uneven cell /excessive fragmentation) so you feel we should cancel the implantation?

Thanks for your help.

legend118 - December 26

Sir,

After reading some more I am a little more concerned about the number of follicles my wofes produced. As I stated before, the last ultrasound showed only (dropped from 7 2 days earlier) and only 1 was ovr 17mm (18mm,14mm+8mm). Should we be concerned about this? I'm also wondering if we should maybe not procede and possibly try to see if she produces more next cycle; this would allow us to freez some which would dramtically reduce costs if we have to try multiple times? What are you thoughts?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - December 26

Without knowing all the details of her stimulation I have no way to advise you. Wetypically get 10 to 15 eggs. Evn when we get fewer, we frequently get pregnancies. Even smaller follicles can have mature eggs.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?