Converting IUI to mini-stim IVF
1 Replies
oct01 - March 16

Dr. Jacobs,

I'm currently scheduled for an IUI this weekend w/Follistim and Medrol. As of yesterday, I had 4 follicles at 12-13mm and 3 smaller follicles. I'm to take a small dose of Follistim tonight and return for an ultrasound in the morning.

In the event that I have more than 4 mature follicles, my RE has offered to convert our IUI to a mini-stim IVF/ICSI cycle. While it is half the price of traditional IVF it is still expensive so I want to make sure I'm spending my $ appropriately (i.e., spending it on this converted cycle vs spending it on a traditional cycle next month).

Do you think our chances of success with a mini-stim and 4 follicles are just as likely as with traditional IVF/ICSI, given our age and factors? Or should we wait and invest the $ in a traditional IVF cycle and produce more follicles?

My DH and I are both 31.
DH-- good sperm parameters (150 mil; 65% motility), 19% DFI and 20% HDS after bi-lateral varicocelectomy
Me-- 24% anti-sperm antibodies

Many thanks for your input.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - March 16

In doing ovulation induction, my goal is to get 3 to 4 follicles big enough to ovulate. Only 1/3 to 1/2 the eggs a woman makes are capable of a successful pregnany.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?