EMbryo Quality
37 Replies
Mbre - February 14

Thank you so much I feel a little better. I have a stenonic cervix will that pose a problem?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - February 14

Once a pregnancy is established, it does not matter how it got there, it is a pregnancy. An IVF pregnancy has the same risks as any other pregnancy, but no greater risks.
Congratulations!

Mbre - February 14

Please help me Dr. J

I am having mild achy cramping in like the lower abdomen/pelvic area. No bleeding, it sorta feels like my AF will be coming. The twinges come and go maybe about the last 3 days for about 2 hours and then stops, but today its lasting a little longer..Should I worry? I was told my uterus is expanding, but I am only 5 weeks, is this normal? when should i worry? My upper legs are crampy and my lower back.... I feel like i have the flu!
I guess im expecting the worse.. I know i should keep optimistic its hard until i c me a heart beat!

B. Jacobs, M. D. - February 14

n IVF pregnancy has no greater or lesser risk than any other pregnancy.
Congratulations!

gpmk - February 27

Oh my God, I had the SAME EXACT thing happen just 3 weeks ago at SIRM! They told me the same story. They told me they retrieved 17 eggs, 9 were mature, 7 fertilized, all 7 made it to day 3, then only 4 made it to day 5 and then they arrested! THEN...he called me a few days later to tell me that there was one embryo that they were watching and it actually made it to blast, slowly and he said I could transfer it but there was only a 5% chance that it would become a pregnancy. I've been on line looking for egg donors for the past few days! This was my 3rd IVF and he gave me the highest protocol. I did a much less aggressive protocol @ NYU for 2 cycles and they got the same amount of eggs. Something is not right with this place. I'm so glad I saw this post. I am going to get my records and to some where else to get another opinion.

Please let me know what ever happened with you.

Thanks,
Grace

Mbre - February 27

Hi Grace,

Wow thats sure is erie. Well i knew something was wrong becuz on my previous attempts at other places doc said my eggs looked great!.
My first ivf attempt i stimmed with very very little gonal only 75 units and I had 5 eggs retrived. All graded 1( being the highest) but got a bfn b/c my transfer was almost an hour of pain becuz my cervix is very narrow. Did anotehr ivf at another clinic, blast was a little slow to grow but made it to blast got a bfn this time my transfer was done twice! the first time for 45 minutes and i told doc i cant do this it hurts to much and he gave me more valium came back tried it again it was so painful girl i was like forget this. BFN again. Go to SIRM, they tell me i havea low antral count( im 27 only 10 follies seen on u/s on day 3) and he gave me a level 6 protocol out of 10 level( 10 being the highest) andyway.. i made alot of follie but i think he freind them all with them high doses of 450 gonal f...so after he retrieved the 17, i was happy but only 7 were mature... all 7 fertilized on day 3, emnrilogist called said eggs were ok but not for some1 my age this is bad. Any way Ic alled Dr. sher who couldnt believe he had me on such a high dose.. so after i was told my transfer was cancelled i got a called the next day came in and had a transfer I am now 6w3days preggo and hoping for the best..

I really dont know what happened. I mean i took what my doc said w/ a grain of salt about my eggs being bad and needing a donor b/c at prior ivf i had good eggs. and protocol means everything when trying to retrieve good oocyotes..
I sure hope this baby shows him!
What happen with you did you do a transfer?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - February 28

Once a pregnancy is established, by IVF or any other means, it is a pregnancy. They all have the same risks. Just because you went through all of the ordeal of IVF does not make your pregnancy higher risk than if you had conceived without assistance.
Congratulations!

lenlance - February 28

i had a scan cd10 uterine lining was 9.8mm three strip per nurse. today cd13 went back and my lining is 20mm and estrogen 1639. i was on tamoxifen 3-7 and gonal-f 225 7-12. follicle today 16-19mm. shouls i be concerned of the very thick linig and implantation failure? please assist.

dees - February 29

A concise history of my case - My partner had a varicocele operation in 2005. This raised his morphology from 2% to 14%. We did 2 IUI - no success. 1 ivf attempt last september. 7 eggs retieved, none fertilised due to sperm not binding to egg. Just completed an ICSI cycle. Another 7 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilised. Day 2 - most at 3 cells, 2 are 2 cells, some with fragments. Day 3 - two are "A" grade at 6 cell and 7 cell. Three are "B" grade, one has 6 cells,and 2 have 4 cells. Day four - one is an early morula, and one is 8 cell. The rest are at day three stage. Day five (transfer day) - none have made it to blastocyst. They transfer one at 10 cell. The rest are too fragmented to use or freeze. (The plan was to transfer two blastocysts)

What do you make of my case with regard to embryo quality and development ? Do you think that they did the transfer so they can say they did one, and that it is unlikely we could be successful ?
As I am not feeling confident about it, i wonder if you could shed some light on reasons for the slow development/poor quality of embryos. Finally, any recommendations for future success ?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - February 29

Once a pregnancy is established, it does not matter how you got there. An IVF pregnancy has the same risks as any other pregnancy, but nbot greater.

Mbre - February 29

Hi Dr. J.

I had an u/s yersterday and showed i was 6w6d (my last menses was after bcp was 1/12)with a heartbeat of 121..... I even heard the heartbeat, it was absolutely amazing... This is ok im asuming as re didnt sound to concerned?

I have another question, I am 27 and as you read from my earlier post i had this cycle canceled due to eggs arresting and then on day 6 had one that made it to blast, this pregnancy is as a result of that.
i know you continue to say a pregnancy is a pregnacnny whether ivf or natural,, however, I read post all the time where peoeple have all sorts of test performed to determine a downs baby, and other things, should i ask for those? with my embryo being a 6 day blast vs 5 day will that leave me suseptical to chromosamal anormalities? Or are these test for people over a certain age?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - February 29

An IVF pretgnancy is at no greater or lesser risk than any other pregnancy.
Good luck.

dees - March 2

Forgive me, Doctor, i should have addressed you with my question, which I will post again as I am eager for your response.

Dear Doctor Jacobs,

A concise history of my case - My partner had a varicocele operation in 2005. This raised his morphology from 2% to 14%. We did 2 IUI - no success. 1 ivf attempt last september. 7 eggs retieved, none fertilised due to sperm not binding to egg. Just completed an ICSI cycle. Another 7 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilised. Day 2 - most at 3 cells, 2 are 2 cells, some with fragments. Day 3 - two are "A" grade at 6 cell and 7 cell. Three are "B" grade, one has 6 cells,and 2 have 4 cells. Day four - one is an early morula, and one is 8 cell. The rest are at day three stage. Day five (transfer day) - none have made it to blastocyst. They transfer one at 10 cell. The rest are too fragmented to use or freeze. (The plan was to transfer two blastocysts)

What do you make of my case with regard to embryo quality and development ? Do you think that they did the transfer so they can say they did one, and that it is unlikely we could be successful ?
As I am not feeling confident about it, i wonder if you could shed some light on reasons for the slow development/poor quality of embryos. Finally, any recommendations for future success ?

Thank you, i appreciate your help.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - March 2

I really cannot provide adequate information about you, in particular. I can give you some general information. Until day 3, embryo growth and developement is controlled by genes from the egg. After day 3, genes from the sperm begin to play a role. Also, we do not disturb embryos in our lab on days 2 and 4. Our lab director feels they should be removed from the incubator as litttle as possible.
Good luck.

dees - March 4

Hello Doctor,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate that you do not have all the details of my case.
Would it be correct to say that ICSI does not always reverse male factor fertility issues ?
When is it time to consider donor sperm ?
Also, I am considering changing clinics for a better result- or
would that be an over- reaction ?

Thank you.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - March 4

Usually, if there are reasonable sperm available, we can achieve a pregnancy with ICSI. It is not 100%. Generally speaking, if a treatment protocol does not work in 3 to 4 treatment cycles, it will not. As far as changing clinics, you have to be comfortable with the clinic where you are receiving care.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?