Progesterone?
11 Replies
Tiffany F - March 8

Hi Dr Jacobs,

I have a few questions for you, Can low progesterone be a cause of having a miscarriage?

I have had every test you can imagine done by my RE and he has come up with that I have low progesterone, it was 1.5, he said that anything below 5 is very low. With that said I want to no the best form of progesterone to take and should I take it before TTC or once I have conceived?

My Re mentioned vaginal suppositories crinone 8%, but I was thinking Prometrium pills or injections, are there injections of progesterone that I can give myself? What do you think is the best form of progesterone? I also have natural progesterone cream, I have'nt used it as of yet. Thanks so much in advance for your opinion :)

B. Jacobs, M. D. - March 8

For my patients, I prescribe progesterone 300 mg vaginal capsules, compounded by the specialty pharmacy I recommend. We also use progesterone in sesame oil 50 mg/ml. Both are cheaper than Crinone. The shots do not feel very good. Absorbtion of oral progesterone is too unpredictable for my preference.
Good luck.

Tiffany F - March 9

Dr Jacobs,

You are such a blessing as always thanks so much for the great information!

You had mentioned that you prescribe 300 mg vaginal capsules from a certain pharmacy, is that something I can get in Florida or is that just your specialty :)?

Thanks again for everything!

B. Jacobs, M. D. - March 9

IVPCare pharmacy delivers all over the country.

Tiffany F - March 9

Thanks Dr Jacobs for the pharmacy name, how often do you recommend the vaginal capsules as well as the progesterone injections? 1X aday? Thanks again in advance!

Tiffany F - March 9

Dr Jacobs,

I promise this is my last question, do you recommend starting the progesterone while trying to conceive or once pregnant? Thanks so much I will be faxing my prescription over to the pharmacy you spoke of ;). I do suffer from low progesterone!

B. Jacobs, M. D. - March 9

I stat progesterone supplementation after ovulation, or after egg retrieval.
Good luck.

Tiffany F - March 12

Dr Jacobs,

It's me again, can you tell me how many times a day you recommend taking the 300 mg vaginal capsules? and also how many times a day you recommend the progesterone injections? and what would the dosage be? I no a vile is usually 50mg/ml, and last but not least are women who suffer from low progesterone known to have headaches? I've read the progesterone drops before your period comes. I get headaches every month right before it comes and I get them while I'm on my cycle as well? Thanks in advance Dr :)

Tiffany F - March 12

Oh I forgot, are the 300 mg vaginal capsules micronized? Thanks again

B. Jacobs, M. D. - March 12

For IVF patients, I prescribe 300mg micronized progesterone vaginal capssules 3 X a day. I also prescribe 50 mg progesterone in sesame oil as an intramuscular injectionn each morning.
Good luck.

Tiffany F - March 14

Hey Dr Jacobs,

Me again, I just spoke with the nurse at my RE's office and I and told her I was'nt sure if I wanted to use progesterone in oil or the progesterone suppositories, she said they will not prescribe both, so I wanted to no which would you recommend? It seems like the progesterone in oil would be more effective but of course you are the professional, maybe I should use the vaginal capsules? Your advice will be very helpful as always....Thanks Tiffany....

B. Jacobs, M. D. - March 16

Actually, both are probably equally effective.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?