IVF Question
2 Replies
curiousgal - March 23

Dr. Jacobs -

I met with my RE yesterday after all of our tests. He's very short and to the point. He doesn't offer a whole lot of information which can be a good thing, I guess.

The results of my tests
HSG - Normal
Ovarian Reserve by Bloodwork - normal
Ovarian Reserve by Ultrasound - Low

He said I had 6.9 antral follices - he said they like to see 10. He said that my right ovary was smaller than my left. Right (2.9) and left (4.6 - I think that was the number).

My husband has a great sperm tests -
152 concentration
47% moving (he said they like to see 50%)
9% normal (he said 14% was the best)
26 million can make the swim.

I'm going to be 35 at the beginning of June.

My doctor said due to my age and my low reserves, he wouldn't mess with IUI but go directly to IVF. I just wanted to know what your thoughts were.

I appreciate your time.

curiousgal - May 14

Dr Jacobs -

We did our first IVF retrieval on 5/12 on 5/9 my stats were e2 1602, lining 9mm, on my right 1@18, 2@16, 1@15, 2@14, 1@11, 4-5 <10 on my left 1@13, 1@11, 3-4<10. on 5/10 my b/w came back with e2 of 2282 and they told me to trigger - I didn't have another u/s but they said they were growing at 2 per day. So I triggered and they only got 3 eggs on 5/12. 1 was no good - the other 2 they did ICSI on - one didn't make it and the other today is at 3 cells with some fragmentation - they want to transfer it tomorrow. 3 cells with no letter grades doesn't sound good to me especially since there is some fragmentation.

my protocol up until trigger was 225 iu twice a day of follistim and then they added antagon to it. do you think that some other protocol would have helped with getting more eggs and possibly better eggs?

thanks for your help

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - May 15

I am not in a position to second guess the RE who has evaluated you. From the data I read in the literature, there is a small disagreement as to the number of follicles to determine adequate ovarian reserve. Take your choice as to 4 follicles per ovary, or 5, as indicating adequate reserve.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?