Egg retrieval
3 Replies
LS2005 - August 16

Hello-
Age 29 diagnosis Male factor only
I just got back from my 2nd IVF cycle: 11 eggs were retrieved.
1st IVF cycle 19 retrieved. I was on the same dosage of follistim 225 U once a day for both cycles. Had similar number of follicles and very similar E2 levels through out the cycle and at trigger. We did expect a few less...but not this many!! If my stimmulation was so similar....why did we get such different results? At trigger my E2 level was 3200 (isn't E2 level supposed to be 200 per mature follicle) which is about 15 eggs? I am soo confused. Of course, I am looking for quality not quantity. Could this mean I have better quality eggs?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - August 17

We cannot obtain an egg rom each and every follicle. Somtimes, no matter what we do, the egg is just not retrieved, even when we areable to empty the follicle, and flush it with the medium. It is still an imperfect science.

LS2005 - August 17

so there were more eggs and they just weren't retrieved? so that is why my e2 level was 3200 at trigger? or were the follicles just empty?
Does having an e2 level of 3200 trigger mean I should have about 15 mature eggs?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - August 17

The estradioll level is related to the total number of follicles producing estradiol. It does not necessarily correlate with number of mature eggs. It doesn't even directly correlate with the number of follicle big enough to put the needle in. There are follicles secreting estrogen that are too small to measure.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?