Progesterone levels
3 Replies
Windy - October 2

Thank you in advance for answering my question.
I had a 3d FET on 9/18. On 9/27 my HCG was 31. On 10/1(4 days later) it was 214. On 10/1 I also had a progesterone trough drawn. It was >40, and I was told to decrease my progesterone from 50mg IM bid, to 37.5 mg IM bid. I am not working off a natural cycle so I'm on complete replacement. I decreased as I was told, however, I am worried about being too low and miscarrying. Is this a valid worry? Is it normal to decrease progesterone levels this early?
Thank you.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - October 3

As long as the serum proge3sterone level is at least 20 ng/ml, I am happy.
Congratulations!

Windy - October 13

I have another question about my situation above. As I previously stated on 10/1 my HCG was 214 and it was redrawn on 10/8 and it was 4,225. They were thinking I may have been preg. with twins due to my levels way more than doubling. Well on 10/12 I passed a nickle sized clot and had a scant amount of spotting (bright red). This morning(10/13) I went in for an ultrasound and they found one heartbeat and yolk sac. They think it may have been implantation bleeding. I thought that occured around day 14 post ovulation, I am currently day 28 post ovulation.
I have 2 questions.
Could I have miscarried one baby?
I have read that high HCG levels are common in Downs, if I have only been preg with one, when are the levels considered high?
Thank you so much!!

B. Jacobs, M. D. - October 14

There is an extremely wide range of normal levels for hCG in early pregnancy. We cannot predict a twin pregnancy based on hCG levels. I doubt you lost one. We cannot determine if you have a Downs pregnancy based on the hCG levels, alone. Certainly it is reasonable to do some screening tests, and if you are at risk, you really should.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?