One Fallopian Tube
1 Replies
butterflywishes1 - February 2

Hi Dr. Jacobs ~

In 2001, I lost my right fallopian tube to PID. My OBGYN informed me that on laparoscopic examination, my right and left ovary, as well as my left fallopian tube looked fine and healthy except for some adhesions. All other organs looked very healthy.

In early 2006, I had a HSG which showed that my left fallopian tube remains patent and no problems were identified. I have very regular periods (27 days) and a normal luteal phase (12 days). I have also noted through charting that I ovulate regularly.

In spite of this, I am still have difficulty conceiving and was wondering (approximately) what my chances are of conceiving (naturally) with only one fallopian tube. Also, what are the chances of ovulating on the side without a tube and having the remaining tube pick up the egg for fertilization? (I have heard that this can happen.)
Are my chances cut in half each cycle because I only have one tube?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and answer my question.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - February 2

Your chances of pregnancy with only one tube and both ovaries are about half that, in any given cycle, if you had both tubes. For more information on the evaluation of the infertile couple, please read the information I have provided on our web page, <www.texasfertility.com>. Your adhesions may impair fertility, and there are other issues to consider. Charting does not prove ovulation.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?