Weight Gain & IVF
1 Replies
Erin - January 26

Dr.

In the past 12 months, I have done 3 IVF fresh cycles, and 2 FET's. In the process I have gained over 30 pounds. Part of this I take responsiblity for via excessive bedrest, and depression eating. My sister is a chiropracter and believes that the excess hormone is depositing in my fat cells. She wants me to do an herbal cleanse for 2 weeks. I'm relucant to screw up my body chemistry. Also for the past 3 months I have had terrible lower back pain, I feel like an old woman (35 yo). Sister believes I'm "toxic" and need a good "liver cleansing". Do you see you patients gain excessive weight during several IVF cycles, or experience low back pain? Would you recommend the cleanse? I'm scheduled to do another IVF cycle in March.

A little more info. 1st cycle was canceled after poor retrieval. Chemical pregnancy with 1st fresh, and 1st frozen. Nothing on 2nd fresh or 2nd frozen. Hoping it's worth one more shot at a natural child. Also had Grave's Disease in my early 20's, treated with RA Iodine, now hypothyroid. We have had difficulty regulating my thyroid during the cycles.

Thanks for your advice. I feel so much better asking the professionals, these questions!

Erin

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - January 26

I have seen no medical evidence for any of the assertions your sister is making. I do not know what is involved, and do not know whether or not it could create a problem. Therefore, I cannot reccomend doing any of what she wants to do. Please note, there is a range of normal for thyroid concentration in the blood, When we give thyroid treatment, it takes approximately 6 weeks to equilibrate. To test or change doses in a shorter interval is counter productive.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?