Weight
1 Replies
Eleana - March 12

Does weight play a role in ovarian stimulation during an IVF cycle? Do my ovaries not respond as well to the stimulation medication because of my weight? I am approximately 20-25 lbs. over weight and preparing for our next IVF cycle in June. Although, I am currently on a weight loss program - I am struggling. I seem to gain weight with each cycle and have a difficult time getting it off afterwards. Thanks! Eleana

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - March 12

The biggest issues with weught and IVF are the ability to monitor ovaries during stimulation, the ability to retrieve eggs, and insulin resistance. If there is too much fat deposited inside the pelvis, the oavaries may be too far from the ultrasound probe to adequately visualize the ovaries. If you are only 20 to 25 pounds over ideal body weight, and you are at least average height, this is not likely to be a problem. If you are insulin resistant, you have polycystic ovaries, and they are likely to respond too briskly, and increase your risk of a hyperstimulation syndrome. If you are insulin resistant, you need to drasticly decrease your carbohydrate intake, if you want to lose weight. I invite you to see the information regarding polycystic ovaries on our web site, <www.texasfertility.com>.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?