Waiting 2 months for IVF
1 Replies
Rita-B - October 16

Hello,
I'm 39 years old. I turn 40 Feb 12, 2006. My husband is 40 and overseas? He can not come back to the US till Jan. 2006. I got pregnant June 2005 but miscarried the next month. I know that having a successful pregnancy decreases with age. So in July I brought my husband's frozen sperm back with me to a Fertility Center, unaware I was already pregnant. After the miscarriage, I am very concerned that my opportunity to get pregnant could be quickly diminishing. I now have to make the decision of leaving Nov 10th and waiting to start IVF in January OR starting my an IVF cycle this week of Oct 17th and leaving to be with my husband for the holidays, 7 days after the embryo transfer. My question is: does 2 months of waiting significantly decrease the chances of IVF working. If I do the IVF now and I get pregnant mid Nov. I will be 39 and 9.5 months. If I start the IVF in January and am pregnant in February, I will pregnant be around the time I turn 40, Feb 12. Does 2 months really make a significant difference in terms of a successful IVF pregnancy? I know the statistics drop significantly at 40, but my case is a difference 2months and I'm already closer to 40 than 39. I welcome your thoughts.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - October 20

Our data regarding age are reported in 5 year blocks, not a month at a time. I really have no data to answer your question, but there does seem to be a significant decrease in success after the age of 40. Your pregnancy risks are related to the age of your eggs at the time of fertilization.
Good luck

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?