varicella vaccine
5 Replies
totcrazy - October 4

Dear Dr.

If you've taken varicella vaccine - how long must you wait after the last shot before you can BE actually pregnant?

Thanks a lot.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - October 4

Please check with your primary care physician. I do not know if the vaccine you took was a live virus. If it is not, there need be no delay, based on your vaccination.
Good luck.

totcrazy - October 4

Dr, How long is the wait for a live virus?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - October 5

If my memory is correct, 6 weeks.

totcrazy - October 5

Dear Dr, thanks for the response.

I was given a varicella vaccine just before I started my IVF cycle. Right after the last shot, my doctor started me on the BCP and the stim meds in the same cycle. According to her, as long as actual pregnancy happens 30 days after the last shot, it will be no problem.

1) There are exactly 41 days gap between my last varicella shot and my egg transfer - do you think this is ok?

2) I was told our embryos were growing slower than usual - do you think the vaccine may have impacted the egg quality?

Thanks again.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - October 5

Teh vaccine you took should not effect the growth rate of the embryos. I think you will probably be OK for embryo transfer, from the standpoint of the vaccine, but please ask the physician who administered the vaccine. If necessary, your embryos can be frozen and stored until it is safe to put them in.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?