Tubal Reversal or IVF?
8 Replies
Theresa - December 10

I am 34 years old. I have two children 14 and 10. I had a Tubal Ligation 10 years ago. Which procedure would I benefit from the most a reversal or IVF? (I still have a monthly menstrual cycle if that matters at all).

B. Jacobs, M. D. - December 11

IVF is more cost effective, cheaper and safer. To perform a tubal reversal properly is a major operation, leaving damaged tubes. That creates a risk of tubal pregnancy. IVF is a minor procedure, and you will miss only 2 to 3 days of work, not 6 to 8 weeks.
Good luck.

Theresa - December 11

Thank you for your response. Since I am fertile and only sterile surgically do I need to take fertility drugs if I decide to proceed with IVF? What are the chances of a successful pregnancy if I decide to only have one egg planted? I am a twin. There are two sets of twins and a set of triplets in my family so I’m really concerned about having multiples, should I be?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - December 11

Pregnancy rates in un-medicated cycles are dismal. At most 1/3 of the eggs a woman makes are capable of a successful pregnancy. Typically we put 2 embryos in the uterus, and only get a 10% to 15% twinning rate. At any rate, discuss your concerns with your Reproductive Endocrinologist.
Good luck.

julesandkev - December 13

Hi Theresa,
I had tubal reversal surgery in March 2006 by Dr. Gary Berger at chapel hill tubal reversal center in chapel hill north carolina. He pioneered the surgery he performs twenty years ago. The day of my surgery I was only at the clinic for 4 hours, and I WALKED out of there. Dr. B does not cut through muscle tissue, but rather manipulates it out of the way. He also thoroughly numbs the inside as he is closing, which allows for a very comfortable 12 hour period after the surgery, and much faster healing. I was back to work in a week and full activity in 2 weeks. I got my first BFP in 6 months. If you do consider having tubal reversal, I encourage you to look them up. Dr. B is well respected and some couple even travel from other countries to have him perform their TR surgery as he is considered one of the very best (if not the best) you can find alot of information to help you make an informed decision on their website ( tubal-reversal dot net ) and from the ladies on the message boards on that site who are past, present, and future patients....the nurses and Dr. B or Dr. Montieth will also answer questions you post on the board if you direct the questions you have to them in the subject line. very best of luck to you whatever you decide.

I forgot to mention that, because this is what he specializes in and is all he does, the prices for CHTRC are very reasonable (about half the cost of an IVF cycle with meds).

feel free to email me if you have any questions about my experience. trulyjulee1967 at msn

tanya1231 - December 21

Go for the reversal. I went through 3 failed IVF cycles before I really checked into the surgery. I had my surgery 12-18-08 and it was a complete success. I have 7.5cm on the right and 5.5cm on the left. I only spent 6,200.00 on the surgery but over 30k for the IVF cycles! And now...I can try month after month, year after year. When IVF fails, it just fails and you are left with nothing. Now I find my hope is restored. Good luck sweetie! I wish someone had told me this a long time ago. It would have saved me a lot of money and a lot of heartache. Contact Dr. Levin in Louisville, KY he is the best of the best!

B. Jacobs, M. D. - December 22

IVF is safer and more cost effctive than tubal reversal. I do not recommend tubal reversa, and have not done that procedure in years.
Goodl luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?