Terrible cramping after ovulation every cycle
4 Replies
teresa - February 13

I hope you can help me. I have been to three doctors already. Every month after ovulation I suffer from awful uterine cramping. The cramps start up almost every day and last for hours. They only get better a few days before menstruation. I am 43 years old. My last pregnancy was supported with progesterone. I was told I have LPD. I now take 200 mg. of Prometrium after ovulation but I am still cramping. Do you have any idea as to why I could be cramping so badly? I have had 5 C-sections. Thank you very much for your time.

confussed - February 13

I would like to know if Provera was taken around 5 weeks of pregnancy could that be the reason I miscarried 2 weeks later?

Barry Jacobs, M> D. - February 13

I do not know why you are cramping. I have not had the oportunity to examine you.

Provera has not been implicated as a cause of miscarriage. Before our current pregnancy tests, Provera was given as a challenge to see if a woman would menstruate, while we waited the 2 weeks before we could rely on the previous version of a pregnancy test.

confussed - February 13

Dr Jacobs, Thank you some much for the respones. I still can not understand, If Provera is used to start your cycle, then why would it not cause a miscarriage if you take it while pregnant? Would your body know not to miscarry because your pregnant? And would your body just disreguard the pills that is used to start your cycle?

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - February 14

In women of reproductive age, the second most common cause of not having a period is no ovulation. After ovulation, the ovary makes progesterone. When the ovariy stops making progesterone, you have a flow. If you are pregnant, the hCG of pregnancy causes the ovary to continue making progesterone and estrogen, until the placrrnta can take over. Provera is a semi-synthetic form of progesterone, which "fools" your endometrium into "thinking" you have ovulated. When the Provera is cleared from your body, the endometrium does what it would do if you had ovulated, but not conceived. If you had a normal pregnancy, your endometrium would still be exposed to progesterone and estrogen, and you would not have a flow.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?