spotting at 5wks
6 Replies
Ke - February 12

Dr. Jacob

Thanks in advance for your advice here.

I am 5 weeks, about 6 weeks pregnant through IVF, the blood works show below
4wks ( at Thurs): HCG: 375, progesterone: 147(on progesterone oil at .5cc)
5wks ( at Mon):HCG: 2378, progesterone: 171 (on progesterone oil at .25cc, stopped since Tuesday)
5wks ( at Thur):HCG: 7640, progesterone: 180 ( no progesterone oil)

My doc says above #s are good, and is doubling like you mentioned. However, since this Wed at 5wks, I have been on and off SPOTTING ! with mild cramping. At first, it was light brown, last night, Saturday, it became dark brown.

I did some research and some articles say that IVF patients have higher chance of having spotting at their pregnancies. Due to possible:
1. Ovary hyper stimulations
2. too thick uterus lining, too much blood there for body really needed for baby ( somewhat high progesterone level may reflect high uterus lining, like my case?)

I would not see my doc until the week after as I was told my HCG and progesterone level are very good, not to worry, plus there is really nothing conclusive ( like heartbeat) to see if things are normal at this early pregnancy. You guess is as good as anything

can you please share some lights about why the spotting and if it is really not something to worry.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Ke

Barry Jacobs, M> D. - February 12

Spotting usually does not mean anything. If you had frank bleeding, and cramping, I would be concerned.
Good luck.

ke - February 12

Thanks a lot Dr. Jacob. my HCG and Progesteron levels are good? from those levels, can I be somewhat assure that the pregancy is going normal?

the spotting is dark brown, very small amt..

Thanks again
Ke

BArry Jacobs, M. D. - February 12

If your hCG levels are at least doubling in 48 hours, that is reasuring.
Good luck.

ke - February 12

thanks a lot for your comments. Dr. Jacob

I really appreciate your sharing at this forum....

ke - February 12

Dr. Jacob

one follow-up question, do IVF patients have higher chance of having spotting
-due to ovary hyerstimulation?
- or too high pregesterone, or too think uterus lining?

Thanks again
ke.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - February 12

I have seen no data regarding the incidence of spooting with an IVF pregnancy compared to a spontaneous one.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?