sagittal thrombosis postpartum
1 Replies
gottago - January 16

Hi! My daughter recently had a baby. After several hous of labour and pushing it was decided to do a c-section. We got a beautiful 9 lb 2 oz baby boy. After I left that evening she hemorrhaged and required 3 units of blood. Within the next couple of days she developed a severe headache which continued for about two weeks. The first day she thought she was feeling better she had stroke like symptoms and we went to emerg by ambulance. A CT revealed a "small brain bleed and several blood clots." She was transferred to a larger hospital where they started her on blood thinners which she has been on for approximately four months now. As well she was on oxcarbazepine to prevent seizures. That has now been discontinued. They say she needs to remain on the Coumadin a little longer but are investigating whether she has some hereditary disorder, something they think they spotted in hospital but now the doctor says you can't accurately check for this when somebody is on thinners, which she was. Nobody in my family or my husbands has ever had difficulty with miscarriages or clotting. My dad just died at 83 and my husbands mother is 79. Can you explain to me what is going on. If she has this disorder I think we would like to count our blessings with one beautiful son and grandson and call it quits. TX

B. Jacobs, M. D. - January 17

I really have no way of estimating what happened. Even if I had the medical records to review, I am at a disadvantage compared to the physicians who provided her care. She may need to be evaluated at a major medical center.

Congratulations on your grandson. I do not know if it is safe for her to become pregnant, again. She might consider using a gestational carrier.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?