Question about Immunology
2 Replies
Pat - May 1

We have failed 1 IVF. Started getting tested and sampled. We are told that we have a match issue. (I believe it is based upon DQ alphamatch). Female has 2.1 and 4.1. Male has 2.1 and 1.1. Female is 37 years old. Because of 2.1 match, we could experience alloimmune destruction. After weighing the option of IVF with IVIg administration, for personal reaons we have decided not to proceed with IVIg.

We would like to better understand the following two options: 1) IVF without IVIg using our own egg and sperm 2) Donor sperm.

Questions:
Option 1 - IVF without IVIg using our own egg and sperm. Is the probability of success approximately 12%? Is there any other treatment option, other than IVIg, that could improve our probability of success?
Option 2 - IVF without IVIg using donor sperm. Is donor sperm the most likely to lead to success over other options?

Also, is donor egg at risk for encountering the alloimmune destruction?

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - May 1

Unfortunately, no one has been able to duplicate the data supporting the use of IVIG. I have no data to advise you about these unproven suppositions you have described. In truth, even with beautiful embryos, IVF does not always work. The end of the year, we put beautiful embryos in one of my patients. We repeated her IVF this year, and she has a ggod pregnancy. We really did not do any different treatment, and certainly not IVIG. We did not use donor sperm or donor egg. Perhaps you will also have a successful pregnancy with you second effort, with out using a donor or unproven treatments.
Good luck.

Pat - May 1

Thank you for your reply. As I'm sure you know, each physician we speak with has a different approach. Although the discrepancy of opinion doesn't make our decision any easier, knowing that there is not a "right answer" out there gives us a sense we are not missing something that would give us a beautiful baby. Your advise also confirms a feeling we had about IVIg.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?