Progesterone and pregnancy
3 Replies
MAg - January 5

I am 7 weeks pregnant and am worried about low progesterone....I asked my dr. to check the level when I went for my OB lab work. I do not have the results yet.

My question is, can you take a progesterone supplement, I think one is Prometrium, as a precautionary measure whether your progesterone is low or not?

Thanks!

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - January 6

At about 8 weeks of normal pregnancy, the placentaa is making more than we can give. All progesterone supplements, which have any value at all, are prescription medications. Of those, the oral progesterone provide the least reliable effect. Intramuscular injections, or vaginal insertion is far better.
Good luck.

MAg - January 6

So, after 8 weeks it would be pointless to tske progesterone supplements?

Since I am 7 weeks, if there were a progesterone issue, would I have miscarried or had problems by now?

Thanks!

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - January 6

To respond to the progesterone question, At 7 weeks, if there is a fetal heart, and on ultrasound, the fetus is the right size, progesterone is probably just fine. The placenta should already be making some progesterone, taking over for the ovary.

Failed fertilization is most likely a male factor issue. The immediate illness is probably not the issue. It takes about 90 days to make a sperm cell, from the beginning to ejaculation. For more information on male factor issues, I invite you to see our web page, <www.texasfertility.com>.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?