PGD: How many embryos to transfer?
3 Replies
cb38 - October 26

I'm 38.75 yr old. We got pregnant easily in March after only 2 months of trying (newly married) using timed intercourse, resulted in miscarriage at 12 weeks trisomy 18. Decided to do IVF to get pregnant as quick as possible and PGD to avoid another chromosomally abnormal pregnancy.
1st cycle, Lupron 10 units then decrease to 5 units, 3 vials Bravelle & 1 vial Repronex for about 10 days, I responded well with 15 mature eggs. Did ICSI and fertilization rate not so great - 8 embryos. 2 tested normal with PGD. We tranferred one and froze one. BFN. We did single embryo transfer because we're trying to avoid twins!

Will be doing PGD again with this upcoming 2nd cycle. If we transferred two PGD normal embryos what do you think would be the % chance we'd have a multiple pregnancy at my age? What are your thoughts on single embryo transfer with PGD? In your opinion, is there anything we could do (i.e. change protocol to pure FSH) to improve the fertilization rate or do old eggs just not fertilize well?

Thank you!

B. Jacobs, M. D. - October 26

Regardless of PGD, we transfer 2 blastocysts. If your embryo have the correct chromosome make up, they are presumed normal, and risk of multiple exists.
Good luck.

cb38 - October 29

Thank you.
What causes poor fertilization rate with ICSI?
Do you think there is there anything we could do (i.e. change protocol to pure FSH) to improve the fertilization rate or do old eggs just not fertilize well?

Appreciate your advice.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - October 29

Poor fertilization rate could be an egg problem, a sperm problem, or a lab problem. I really cannot advise you as to treatment protocol. You need to discuss it with your RE.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?