Pathology report suggests possible partial molar
1 Replies
Bobaloola - August 4

I am 26 years old and did my first IVF cycle May/June of this year. We did 100% ICSI and transferred 2 embryos - 9 cell grade 1, 8 cell grade 1. The RE did our u/s at 7 weeks and showed a perfect fetus. We saw and heard the h/b. I mentioned to the RE that my asthma was getting worse with the pregnancy, so she suggested seeing my OB ASAP. The u/s was on a Friday and my appt with the OB was 3 days later on a Monday (my RE's office is 2 1/2 hours away). They did an u/s at the OB appt and there was no h/b. The follow up u/s 3 days later still showed no h/b and no growth the past week. They did a D&C that afternoon.

I went for my 2 week follow up today and the OB said the pathology report stated that it was a possible molar or partial molar pregnancy. I don't understand. Would you see a h/b if it was molar? Also, I had no bleeding during the pregnancy. Just fatigue and nausea. The chromosome testing came back stating no abnormalities. Aren't these conflicting results? And today's BETA results were 27. I'm to go weekly for b/w until the number is below 5. And no ttc for 3 months.

Can you shed some light on this? TIA

B. Jacobs, M. D. - August 4

A "mole" is a tumor of the placenta, and it can destroy a fetus, if one is there. It takes time for the very high hCG levels of a molar pregnancy to become negative. It seems as though your OB is doing the right thing.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?