Nuchal fold scan at 12 weeks
1 Replies
anniekate - May 6

Dr. Jacobs,

We had a terrible experience yesterday when we went for the nuchal fold screen for our twins. When the doctor turned on the ultrasound, it was clear that we had lost one twin weeks ago. Then,within minutes, the doctor did the nuchal fold measurement on the remaining twin. Ours came out 3.3 mm and I am 37. The doctor said this is a VERY high number and said our risk went up from 1.2% to around 10% (1 in 10). However, I have read several other places and spoken with an ob who is a friend of mine who says that the measurement should be around 3mm or less for 10-13 weeks. If that is true, it seems that our number is not THAT high.
Can you shed any light on this for us?

Sincerely,
Annie Kate and Timothy Head

Does this sound accurate to you? We are still awaiting the blood test which will give a clearer picture, but we just really wanted a second opinion since we've seen so much research that says 3.3 is not THAT high.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - May 6

Please fogive my ignorance, but I have not done OB since I was in training in the 70's. We did not know of the relationship of thick nuchal fold and abnormal chromosome count at that time. Although I am aware of the study and its implications, I do not know the critical values of the measurements. If the fold is too thick, you should probably have more specific studies done on the pregnancy. The nuchal fold measurement is a screening test, and not necessarily definitive.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?