Multiple Failed IVFs
0 Replies
JennyN - June 1

Hi! My husband and I have now had 4 failed IVF/ICSIs. We originally entered into the process because we were unable to reverse an old vasectomy -- but my doctor now thinks that there may be an unexpected egg quality issue. I am a good responder to the stims & have always produced tons of eggs (16-23). We have always transferred good-quality embryos of 6-7 cells and either no fragmentation or little -- always on day 3. On our last IVF, we transferred 4 embryos -- 2 7-cells (one with some fragmentation), one 6-cell, and one 5-cell. But we have never had a pregnancy. Overall, the embryos seem to be not very robust, with few reaching more than 2-4 cells on day 3, and none ever growing to blastocyst stage in the lab.

Does an egg quality issue seem like a reasonable diagnosis here? (Why could it not be the sperm? Do the doctors really know, or is it just a theory? Does opinion on this kind of diagnosis vary from doctor to doctor?)

And my real question is -- is it worth trying IVF one more time (paying out-of-pocket), or are our odds dismal at this point? I am considering looking into immunological issues, although I realize that this is controversial in the field. We are not interested in donor sperm or eggs, and are considering adoption or childfree living as other options.

(Sorry for the run-on nature of the message -- we are making some big decisions, and I am just trying to gather as much information as possible! :-\)

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?