Metformin tollerance issues
4 Replies
moira - October 17

I know that you do not use metformin generaly as a treatment for PCOS, but that is the route my OB/GYN has chosen for the moment. I have been on the medication for about 2 months and I'm still having problems tollerating the metformin. I have to take 3 Immodium AD daily just to fend off the gas and direah. I was wondering if you could use something called questran to combat the bowel issues? I have tried to see if this has been used in conjunction with the metformin. I know it is used to lower LDL and has a lovely side effect of causing constipation, but I used it once before when I had my gall bladder removed and I was having the same "dumping syndrome". Could the metformin be causing my body to revert to the dumping syndrome?

jnt010 - October 18

Hello Moira
I had the same problems on metformin. After 6 weeks I called my Dr. and he took me off that day. He said some women just can't handle it. I would talk to your Dr.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - October 18

there are 2 issues. While taking metformin, you really need to restrict your carbohydrate intake. Second, many of my patients have more problems with the side effect profile of generic metformin than with the brand product, Glucophage. Generics are not truly equivilnt of brand.
Good luck.

moira - October 18

Thank you for your responce. After some though today I do not think my ob/gyn has the nessicary knowledge or experiance to properly treat my pcos. I am currently looking to get help from a reproductive endocrinologist.

Thank you again

B. Jacobs, M. D. - October 18

Wise move!

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?