Low HCG Results
5 Replies
TMC - October 1

I discovered I was pregnant 9/27/05. I had been taking Clomid and IUI was performed 9/11/05. Date of LMP 8/26/05.

I immediately went to my OBGYN for a HCG Quantative blood draw since my last pregnancy failed (discovered no heartbeat at 6.5 weeks gestation; D&C performed Jan. 2005).

Results are as follows:
9/27: 155 (taken at 12:00 p.m.)
9/29: 247 (taken at 8:15 a.m.--not quite 48 hours but probably should have doubled to 310).

I'm going in for more bloodwork 10/3. Ultrasound scheduled for 10/10. Practitioner says blood may have been drawn too early and hormones are lagging behind. She also said she didn't want me to be crushed but not too optimistic either.

I have no abdominal pain (5 weeks along) but have frequent urination and breast tenderness. No nausea or vomiting.

Your thoughts?

Thank you.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - October 1

A third hCG 48 hours after the second one may have been helpful.
Good luck.

TMC - October 1

I'm assuming they chose to peform the 3rd HCG blood draw this coming Monday because 48 hours from the 2nd HCG would have occurred today, over the weekend.

Since that can't be changed, what levels should we be looking for when the results come in on Tuesday?

And, do you think the results didn't double because we took the 2nd HCG slightly under 48 hours and should have taken it between 48-72? Or should it have doubled regardless of it it was 45 hours or 60 hours later? The numbers seem so close--only 63 away from doubling.

Thank you.

BArry Jacobs, M. D. - October 2

I am surprised that a fertility clinic does not draw blood on weekends. One or teo hours either side of 48 should not make much difference, but that would be a reason to obtain a third specimen. A second possibility as to the rise of hCG not doubleing is that you may have started with 2 implantations and 1 dropped out. Of cource, you may not have a good pregnancy. Unfortunately, that is not uncommon.
Good luck.

TMC - October 3

Took my third HCG blood draw this morning and asked the lab to rush the results. Findings are as follows:

Tues 9/27: 155
Thurs 9/29: 247
Mon 10/3: 817

So it seems as if they are still not doubling but are increasing.

I am 5 weeks, 3 days past LMP. Took Clomid & had IUI 9/11/05. U/S scheduled in 7 days.

Any thoughts on the new blood results?

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - October 3

At 6 weeks after first day of last menstrual period, you should be able to see a fetal heart beating on ultrasound, if you have a ggod pregnancy.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?