Low fertilization in IVF
3 Replies
Paula - September 12

We just found out that our first IVF attempt was not successful. We had 22 eggs retrieved, but only 2 that fertilized well. The doctor had told us that the uterus looked good, levels looked good, and that we had a good chance for a pregnancy. Both embryos were transferred on day 3. Obviously we are very disappointed. We thought that having only 2 eggs that fertilized seemed very low. We had 6 others that the doctor let continue until day 5. But we were told that they were not viable and so were not frozen. What could be the cause of this? Is there anything we can do to improve our chances with the next IVF cycle?

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - September 12

Basically, there are 3 potential issues. There may be a problem with egg quality, perhaps related to the stimulation, there may be a sperm problem, or there may be a lab problem. There is no way for me to know which one(s) may be involved.
Good luck.

Paula - September 14

The doctor had told me that he was a bit worried because I responded quicker than he had thought. He then reduced the amount of medication, then "coasted" me until egg retrieval. Is it possible that the eggs were too mature? I know you wouldn't know without looking at records, but is this possible? Thanks.

Barry Jacobs, M. d. - September 14

I can only relate what our embryologist tells me. Apparently when estradiol levels rise too rapidly, the nucleus and the cytoplasm of the egg mature at different rates and are out of sync with each other. Perhaps starting with a lower dose in the next stimulation may work better.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?