Letrozole vs Let/Follistim Combined
2 Replies
oct01 - January 31

A year ago, we had 4 failed IUI's (2 failed with just Letrozole and 2 failed with a combination of Letrozole and Follistim).

Since then, we have rectified the only significant known male factor (bi-lateral varicoceles) and my husband's DFI has gone from 47% to 19%, HDS stayed the same at 20%. Thorough testing has not revealed any female factor. We are both 31.

Given the improvement in DFI, our RE suggests another round of IUI before moving to IVF/ICSI. She is recommending another cycle with Letrozole and Follistim combined in order to increase the chance of pregnancy.

I responded well to 2.5 mg of Letrozole last year (producing 1 egg and a good cycle). I also responded well to 5 mg of Letrozole with Follistim (producing 3 eggs and a good cycle).

So, I guess my question is:
Given that our circumstances have improved, is it necessary to increase the number of eggs for IUI when it may result in multiple pregnancies? Is it possible that our odds are just as good with producing just one egg?

I want to do whatever makes the most sense but I do not want to risk multiple pregnancy unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks for your help.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - January 31

Only one third to maybe half the eggs a woman makes are capable of a successful pregnancy. I try to make 3 to 4 eggs available for fertilization in an IUI cycle.
Good luck.

Sarag - February 3

Hi,

I have had more than 6 cycles with Letrozole and they have now discontinued use. Apparently they found abnormalities in rats when using the drug. All the clinics I know have stoped using this drug.

Regards

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?