IVF sperm vials & home insemination kits
1 Replies
ShebaMaru - February 14

I am single without a partner and have used donor sperm for 2 seperate IUI procedures (two inseminations each time).

I have read that washed sperm only lasts on average 6-12 hours, so I was thinking, when I do my next IUI procedure, could I use a vial of IVF sperm with a home insemination kit (for vaginal insemination) as sort of a back-up plan if my ovulation timing doesn't occur within the life of the sperm fro the IUI?

I really have no idea what the home insemination kits look like nor do I know what the donor sperm IVF vials look like, but this is getting costly, time consuming, and I am over 40 - however my follicle reserve is quite high (10 in left ovary & 6 in right ovary at last ultrasound) and I have no apparent issues with my uterus.

Any thoughts on this?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - February 15

First, there is no IVF sperm. There is sperm for intracervical insemination, and there is washed sperm for IUI. The same sperm used for IUI can be used for IVF. Second, regardless of ovarian reserve, your eggs have a high probability of having the wrong number of chromosomes. That is a product of your being 40 years old - not30 years old. At 40, your potential for pregnancy falls off the cliff, even with IVF. Your risk of miscarriage gets progressively higher as does your risk for having a live born with the wrong number of chromosomes. If you really want a healthy pregancy, byu far, your best bet is to use an egg donor.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?