IVF
3 Replies
Lavender - September 28

I have researched IVF and have heard that many eggs are taken from the ovaries, fertilized and then, 3-4 of the the many fertilized eggs are implanted in the uterus. If IVF is successful, is it true that the other fertilized eggs(embryos) not placed in the uterus are then thrown away or discarded? I know eggs and sperm can be frozen, but can fertilized eggs be frozen as well?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - September 28

Eggs are not being frozen, except in research setting. We freeze embryos. You should also understand that only about 1/3 of the eggs are capable of a successful pregnancy. We do not throw embryos away, if they are growing. We try to make them available for future use.

Lavender - September 28

What do you mean by "we do not throw embyros away, if they are growing?" can you explain this further with more detail, please?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - September 29

Only about 1/3 of the eggs a woman makes are capable of a successful pregnancy. The genes from the sperm do not play a role in embryonic growth ad developement until 3 days after fertilization. More embryos die between days 3 and 5, because the genetic make up is not compatable with life. In our program, we usually transfer embryos on day 5 to 6. We trransfer2 embryos. If more than 2 embryos are still alive on the day of transfer, we freeze them in liquid nitrogen, where they can remain indefinitely. I do not know where you have the idae that we casually destroy viable embryos. It is just not true.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?