invitro
4 Replies
Payne - May 14

I was wondering...when you do the invitro in the lab, and once you successfully created an embryo (or whatever it is) and then you transfer it back into the female...how many embryos are thrown out? Like, how many eggs do you test with?

Nette - May 15

I'm not exactly sure of what you mean. I think that the embryos have to develop to a certain stage before a decision has to be made on what to do with them. In my experience, it was our decision on what we wanted to do with the embryo that stopped developing.

Payne - May 15

ya i'm sorry, I worded that wrong. I meant is once everything is complete how many of the non-used embryos (or fertilized eggs) are thrown away?

Nette - May 15

If you have good unused embryos, they can be frozen. When you're ready to transfer them, they will be thawed. The ones that survive the thawing process can be transferred.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - May 15

Virtually all of our patients freeze the embryos we do not transfer. We do not throw embryos away. We did have one couple advise us they no longer wanted their embryos, and 2 more couples we cannot find. We have not, yet, made a disposition.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?