injecting with wrong needles
2 Replies
AMITHIS - September 3

Dear Dr. Jacobs,

Although I've done IVF several times, my husband has always done my injections until this time when he was away traveling. I did a ridiculously stupid thing and was using 23 gauge 1 inch needle caps for what were intended to be sub-Q injections in my lower abdomen. I didn't realize my error until last night (evening 9 of stims) when he returned and told me something didn't look right when he went to do my injection with the supplies I had given him. I then realized the 27 gauge 1/2 inch needle caps I was supposed to be using were in the back of our medicine cabinet.

My question is could I have damaged any internal organs and how would I know if I did? I was injecting at a 90 degree angle and releasing the pinch prior to injecting. My BMI is 18.5 so I do not have a lot of extra padding. The only symptoms experienced were bruising and pain similar to having performed way too many sit ups.

In terms of it affecting the cycle, as long as my E2 levels were rising appropriately, should I be ok or do I need to worry about that as well?

I really feel embarrassed for this mistake which is completely unlike me. From my search on the internet, I'm feeling like I'm the only person ever to make this error.

Many thanks,

Staci

B. Jacobs, M. D. - September 3

No worry! The slightly larger needke did not do any damage. Good luck with your cycle.

AMITHIS - September 3

Dr. Jacobs,

Thank you so much for the quick reply. You have saved me from a sleepless night....and possible nervous breakdown!

Staci

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?