hypothalamic amenorrhea
1 Replies
fplgiraffe - July 16

I've been diagnosed with hypothalamic amenorrhea. One of my RE's said it takes just a slight lack of coordination between GnRH/LH/FSH to lead loss of menstrual cycles and that this is not an uncommon diagnosis. However, after reading the literature, I am a bit perplexed. I am not an avid exerciser (if anything I could probably benefit from getting more exercise). I don't have anorexia or bulemia. My family tells me it "must be too much stress"--but this has only developed now in a time in my life when I have been enjoying the least stress ever. Is there anything in the literature about patients like me with this condition who don't fit the profile of athletic/low body fat/or history of eating disorder?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - July 16

All of the things you mentioned can cause "hypothalamic hypogonadism", which will produce amenorrhea in women. Some women are born with a problem, which caauses the problem. Others develope it later. In those who develope "secodary hypothalamic hypogonadisn" it is important to make sure there is not a tumor in the head, which is causing the problem. An MRI study should be able to determine that. Another thing to evaluate, if it has not been done, already, is the level of serum plrolacti. My most recent patient with "secondary hypothalamic hypogonadism" did not have a demonstrable tumor. After treatment, she is now pregnant.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?