HSG Test Question
1 Replies
JamieMac - August 5

I went for an HSG test on Thursday and I have a question. To give you some history: On Monday I went to the obgyn to have her look at a fissure I had on my labia. She took a culture and said it might be herpes, bacteria, etc. She said they would call me w/in 24-48 hrs. if anything came back positive. By Thursday I had not heard anything.

Thursday I went for an HSG test. To be honest I had no idea what was in store for me – the test was extremely uncomfortable to say the least and I bleed some last night. Prior to the exam I did mention to the person doing the test about my culture on Monday and that I had not heard back on the results. She said it was not important and I could take the test. I was feeling better, my fissure had healed.

I called my obgyn today to ask about my culture results. They were not in from the lab yet. Now I am nervous – what if my culture does come back positive for herpes (or something else) is it possible the HSG test spread the virus up into my uterus and cervix? I “passed” the HSG test but now I am wondering if I have opened myself up to a whole new set of problems. I am having quite a bit of anxiety over this.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - August 5

Whoever performed your HSG should have washed the vegina and cervix with an antiseptic solution, which should minimize the bacteria and virus count. We cannot sterilize the vagina, but you are probably OK.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?