FIRST IVF FAILURE
7 Replies
JEN77 - January 19

WE HAD OUR FIRST IVF CYCLE THIS MONTH. THE DR. RETRIEVED 13 EGGS. WE WERE THEN TOLD THE EGGS WERE A POOR QUALITY ( DARK AND GRANULAR), THAT 3 "EXPLODED" WHEN SPERM WAS INJECTED AND ONLY 2 FERTILIZED. THE 2 THAT DID FERTILIZED WERE VERY FRAGMENTED AND WERE ONLY A FIVE CELL AND SIX CELL.

I AM 28 AND HAD BEEN THROUGH SUPER OVULATION PRIOR TO THIS AND STIMULATED MUCH MORE THAN THIS AND FELT TOTALLY DIFFERENT THAN I DID THIS CYCLE. COULD THIS BE A BUST OR WILL I NEED TO MOVE TO EGG DONATION?

jacki - January 19

Hi Jen77
Sorry to hear about your failure. I did my first IVF this month as well and am waiting on my beta results as we speak. I am so nervous.

Good luck to you the next round.

Jackie

JENW77 - January 19

JACKIE-

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.
WHEN WAS YOUR TRANSFER?

I ACTUALLY HAVE NOT TAKEN THE BLOOD TEST YET BUT THE EMBRYOS DID NOT LOOK VERY HOPEFUL. I GUESS AFTER MANY YEARS OF TRYING I TEND TO THINK MY GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF EMPTY ;)

GOOD LUCK AND I HOPE YOU HAVE A POSITIVE RESULT!
JEN

jacki - January 19

My transfer was on 1/10/06. I had 4 blastocysts - 2 grade 5 (the best grade) and 2- grade 3 (good grade). My MD recommended transferring all 4 based on my age and the decrease likely of having multiples. I am awaiting my results now. This is a tough road to travel. It has got to get easier for us women wanting children.

Jackie

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - January 19

Somtimes, modifying the stimulation protocol can improve egg quality. If you have polycystic ovareis, you are more likely to have a very brisk response. The egg cytoplasm and nucleus are more likely to not mature at the same rate.
Good luck.

Carroll - February 20

I just went through first IVF. Retrieved 16 eggs, only 4 fertilized to the 8-cell stage and transferred two on day three and froze the other two. Found out on Valentines Day that IVF failed and doctor told me for the first time that my egg quality was poor. we will transfer frozen embryos but now I am so down about egg quality that i am afraid that won't work either. Has anyone had success with froxen embryo transfer after fresh cycle failed?

36yo - February 27

Dr. Jacobs,
I had my first IVF cycle fail. I went through PGD testing with 6 fertilized embroys, two implanted. It seems that my lining was adequate at implatation (9.9). Is there anything that can be done with the next cycle? The remaining 4 embroys have made it through 5 day growth blastocyst stage. thanks

B. Jacobs, M. D. - February 27

I really do not know enough of your medical circumstances to provide a meaningful answer to you question. Actually there is more to the endometrium than just thickness. I test for an adhesion molecule felt to be important for embryo implantation. Please see the information on our web page, <www.texasfertility.com>.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?