Fetal Heartbeat
2 Replies
Aimee37 - October 27

Hi Dr. Jacobs. Welcome back from your ASRM meeting. I am sure you gained alot from it. ;D

I just had my 8 week U/S and everything is growing nicely since my 6 week scan. The fetal HB was 163. My RE said that was where it should be and that it was nice and strong. ;)

Can you tell me the guidelines of the range of what is normal for a fetal HB? Is the range 120-160's?

Someone told me, that if it was on the higher side than it is probably a girl. Also that fact that I had high HCG numbers that could indicate a girl too.

What is your take on this and what is your experience? Wouls you know this since you do not work in an OB office?

Thanks!
-Aimee ;)

B. Jacobs, M. D. - October 27

A fetal heart rate will vary considerably, just as yours does. A rate of 120 to 160 bpm is just fine. There is no demonstrated relationship between fetal heart rate or hCG level and gender. The first is a very old wive's tale, and I guess the latter is urban legend.
Congratulations!

Aimee37 - October 27

Thanx Dr. Jacobs! ;D

I thought that was an old wive's tale! ;) I just pulled up this site and it helped me with my question.

http://www.obgyn.net/medical.asp?
page=/english/pubs/features/dubose/ehr-age

I
would really like a boy but would be happy with a girl too. Whatever was meant to be, the strongest embie held on for dear life. So either way, I woul dbe very pleased dor my "survival of the fittest".

Thanks Dr. jacobs! I hope you have a great day/weekend!

-Aimee

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?