failed ivf-icsi
1 Replies
mairead36 - March 24

Hello,

I live in NYC. I am 36 and my boyfriend is 41. We tried unsuccessfully to conceive for a year and then did a series of fertility tests.

We found that we have a male factor issue as his sperm count is low with low motility, less than 1 million and only 10% motility. We decided to skip IUI and go straight to IVF with ICSI. All of the blood work and tests suggested that my egg reserve was very good relative to my age.

I took Lupron for two weeks and then 3x Gonal F and 1x Menopur for ten days. On day 7, my estrogen level spiked to 3,700 from 2,200 the day before and my doctor advised me to reduce the Gonal F to 1 and excluded the Menopur, I continued to take a lower dose of Lupron through the stimulant period.

On retrieval day, I produced 15 eggs all of which were abnormal. Only 7 were mature enough to fertilize and only four embryos formed. By day 3, we had one with 2 cells, two with 4 cells, and one with 5 cells. By day 5, all of the embryos were fracturing so we are not going to transfer any.

What can I do from here to be more successful on the next cycle? Are there any tests we can do to determine if this was a male versus a female issue? How much did my protocol and the over stimulation impact the egg quality? What would you recommend we do on another cycle?

Thank you

B. Jacobs, M. D. - March 25

Only a very small percentage of eggs are capable of a successful pregnancy. It is possible that a minor adjustment to your stimulation protocol may producxe a greater number of mature eggs. Obviousl there are many possible explantions for you to discuss with your RE.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?