Extremely high progesterone
2 Replies
spicyrose - March 1

Hi Dr. Jacobs,
We had our third IVF this Feb and just found out that I am pregnant again. My hCG came back at the 400's during my first test two days ago. Today I had my second hCG and it came back at 851. So, I though it was progressing appropriately. My concern was my progesterone. As part of the regimen, I was taking 1 cc progest injection and one Crinone gel every night. In my first pregnancy test, they tested my progest level too, and after seeing my results, the nurse told me to stop the injection because my progest level is already very high, but I still need to apply the gel. Today, from the second test, I learned how high my progesterone was. The nurse told me that my level was well above 200.

My questions are:
- My number sounds extremely high for an early pregnancy like mine. Is there any danger associated with too high progest?
- Is it normal to have this kind of level?
- I've been reading that an abnormally high level of progest could be a sign of molar pregnancy. Should I worry about it? I am very concerned because during my second try with IVF last November, I got an ectopic pregnancy. I just can't handle another abnormal pregnancy. But, I would rather be prepared then not knowing what is coming my way.

Thank you.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - March 1

If you have a molar pregnancy, I would expect the hCG levels to be much higher, and to increase much more rapidly, than just doubling in 48 hours. I have no way to assure you that everything is OK, but I have no basis to tell you otherwise.
Good luck.

RS - March 2

My progesterone was 190, so my RE decreased my dose to 1/2 cc. Maybe you could ask your RE about that.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?