embryos showed a lot of vacuoles
9 Replies
YoY - February 6

Dear Doctor,
I am 31 year old with good health. My FSH is 3.3. I need to do IVF because my husband sperm blockage. I just fail on my first IVF in Dec 2006. I responded well to the stimulation regime with eight oocytes being retrieved from the eight follocles aspirated. Six were at metaphase 2 and so injected (ICSI)and five showed normal fertilisation. I replaced one excellent quality embryo onday 3, but sadly I was not pregnant. The four spare embryos were not suiable for cryopreservation and showed a lot of vacuoles. I planned to try the 2nd ivf in Jan 2007. So I very need you the professional doctors help please.
Question #1: Why the embryo were not became Blastocyst?
Question #2: Why the embryo showed a lot of vacuoles? How to improve the egg quality?
Question #3: What can I do to make the 2nd ivf
sucessful? Thanks a lot for your help.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - February 8

Only 1/3 to maybe 1/2 the eggs a woman makes are capable of successful pregnancy. Genes from the sperm do not play a role in embryo growth until after day 3. Not all sperm are capable of a successful pregnancy, either. Also, not all laboratories can reliably grow blastocysts. I do not know the reason for your husband's blockage, but if it is congenital, he has a variant of cystic fibrosis until proven otherwise. You shoould be checked for carrier status. You do not want to have a sick child.
Good luck.

YoY - February 8

Thanks Dr. Jacobs,

My husband's blockage is not congenital. He is healthy. Do you know why there are embryos showed a lot of vacuoles?

Thanks!

B. Jacobs, M. D. - February 9

There are 3 possibilities. First is a problem with the eggs. Second is a problem with sperm. Genes from the sper do not play a role in embryo developement until after day 3. Third is a possible problem in the lab.
Good luck.

YoY - February 13

Thanks you Dr. Jacobs.

YoY - March 14

Dear Dr Jacobs,
I got the egg collection yesterday. We got 16 eggs. 13 mature oocytes had sperm microinjection (ICSI) of which 7 showed normal fertilisation. Are the number for fertilisation normal?
Thanks for your help.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - March 16

That is a reasonable fertilization rate for severe male factor problems.
Good luck.

YoY - March 19

Many thanks Dr Jacobs,
On day 3 only 2 embryos left, but 1 embryo is 8 cell with vacuoles and the other one is 6 cell good looking embryo. Dr. what do you think the chance to success in this time? Many thanks you always be here with us.

YoY - March 19

Many thanks Dr Jacobs,
On day 3 only 2 embryos left, but 1 embryo is 8 cell with vacuoles and the other one is 6 cell good looking embryo. Dr. what do you think the chance to success in this time?
Many thanks you always be here with us.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - March 19

It is hard to know how significant the vacuoles are. There is certainly a chance for pregnancy.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?