Embryo Quality
3 Replies
Mbre - October 30

Hi Dr. J, its me again. I spoke with my RE just to keep up to dat with my furture cycle and we discussed my case and I had asked him since we only retreived 1 egg from the 2 follicules( after 5 days of clomid 50mg) should I be happy that my one egg fertilized and made it to blast, he sai I should be happy becasue atleast that tells you that your eggs hafve the potential to reach blst when some people dont. Well as u know from our prior talks I got a BFN

However prior to my cycle embriologist called and said my fertlized was growing slow
Question:
Growing slow? What does that mean? Can it still implant?
And a Grade B, is that ok on a scale of (A-D, a being of best quality)?
And also, should I be happy that it fertilized and made it to blast since it was just one egg I was working with?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - October 30

we do not use Clomid, and we typically get 10 to 15 eggs. Only 30% to 35% of the eggs a woman makes are capable of a successful pregnancy. Slower growing embryos frequently do not produce good pregnancies. Since I am not involved with your program, I have no first hand information, and cannot be more specific.
Good luck.

Mbre - October 31

DR J,

Ok, I nderstand that biologically a womens eggs have a 30 to 35 percent chance of making a pregnancy, but then tell me this( even though it may seem silly) how come I have a friend who is 24 with 4 kids, she cant help but to get pregnant! I mean I know its being childish to say or suggest but if we have a 35% chance of our eggs producing a pregnancy, is it some woman body is better than others? Is it true once your pregnant your body is "primed"...

Thanks,
FYI Did you hear about the SIRM seminar coming up talking about a new way to tell if embryo are twice as likely to impnat? Have you heard of it, what are your thoughts?

Mbre

B. Jacobs, M. D. - October 31

Remember, statistics are bsed on large numbers of people - not individuals. Also, we do not know how many eggs fertilized that did not produce a recognized pregnancy.

I am familiar with SIRM and their offer of comparative genetic hybridization. I have researched it and discussed with a friend who pioneered pre-implantation genetic testing of embryos. All embryos have more than 1 cell line very early in their developement. When you study only 1 cell, which is what is done in CGH, you do not know if the abnormal cell is truly representative of the embryo. You could throw away a number of good embryos. Unfortunately, although it is a good idea, CGH is "not ready for prime time".
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?