Egg Release?
3 Replies
WI102 - April 3

Dr.,

Is it possible for an egg not to release from your ovary even in you have regular periods every month, consistent LH surge, and normal BBT charts with LH phases of 14-16 days? None of my blood tests showed any hormone irregularity. I had a lap surgery done in January and my ovaries both looked normal, but the only months that I have ever conceived were the two months that I was on Clomid (both early miscarriages due to a partial hydrosalpinx caused by previous abdominal sugery that had damaged tube-contralateral tube looked normal and patent). Now that I had my hydrosalpinx repaired, we are trying nautrally again, but have not had any luck. I was considering trying Clomid (or another ovualation drug if my RE prefers) again. What do you think?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - April 3

Actually Clomid increases the risk of having a luteinized unruptured follicle - exactly wht you described. With a damaged tube, you are at increased risk for a tubal pregnancy. You may be better served with IVF.
Good luck.

WI102 - April 3

Dr.,

I'm a bit confused. If the Clomid caused a luteinized unruptured follicle, then I wouldn't have conceived while on Clomid (if I inderstand what you said), right? I have only conceived while on Clomid which is why I'm afraid that my own natural cycle may have a problem with an egg breaking though the follicle. Are there any specific tests that can detect such a problem?

Thank you.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - April 4

Clomid does not automatically produce the unruptured follicle. It just increases the risk, above that of a natural cycle. The way to diagnoe LUF is to perform serial ultrasound evaluations and progesterone determinations. If the follicle gets larger, instead of disappearing, and progesterone goes up into the range of ovulation, you have a LUF.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?