ectopic symptoms
5 Replies
sonia989 - June 2

Hi,
I have been sent home to wait for another week (i'm 7 weeks today) before going back for another u/s because they don't know if it's ectopic or not.
My questions is, I have some pain in my left side which is accompanied by nausea. However, it's not severe and it comes and goes. I cannot reach anyone at the hopsital, as usual. How severe do symptoms have to be before you go to the ER?

Sonia

B. Jacobs, M. D. - June 2

I have no way of determining how severe your pain needs to be to tell you that you have an ectopic pregnancy. That is not a diagnosis which can be made solely on the basis of symptoms. If you are truly 7 weeks pregnant, vaginal probe ultrasound should demonstrate a clear gestational sac, a fetal pole, and, if it is a good pregnancy, a beating fetal heart.
Good luck.

sonia989 - June 3

Hi,
I guess my question should have been whether even slight intermittent pain should be reason to go to the ER. It's true I'm 7 weeks and it's from IVF so there's no question about the dates. At 6.3 weeks they still hadn't seen a yolk sac or anything else by vaginal u/s and told me to wait 1 more week 'just in case' it may appear later, but to go to the ER if I have symptoms of an etopic. They say the 'sac' grew from 5 mm to 8 mm in the last week, which seems slow to me. I don't think there is any chance this is a viable pregnancy at this point. Have you ever heard of a yolk sac appearing after 6.5 weeks? Can a normal sac grow only 3 mm in 1week?

Thanks so much for answering my questions.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - June 3

If you are 7 weeeks pregnant, and have an empty uterus, you have an ectopic pregnancy, until proven otherwise.
Good lluck.

sonia989 - June 3

Hi Dr Jacobs,

well... my uterus is not really empty because there is what looks like a sac (with nothing in it). Would you still consider this a likely ectopic? Would you do a laparoscopy if you had a patient in this situation?

Sonia

B. Jacobs, M. D. - June 3

I would have to see the ultrasound to try to make a determination. If you do have an empty sac in your uterus at 7 weeks, it is not a good pregnancy. I think it is time to start over.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?