Confusion about clomid & PCOS
1 Replies
jenn9144 - September 10

Hi Dr. Jacobs,

I am 28 and have never had a child. My husband and I would like to start trying. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 5 years ago and have taken Metformin to regulate my cycles. I ened up loosing weight with it too!

Recently we have moved and I have changed GYNs, my new GYN thinks that Metformin is out of date for PCOS but has continued me with it. What other alternatives are there for PCOS, and would that make me ovulate?

Second, I have read several of your previous posts about clomid and understand that it is not something that you prescribe. This is the second Doctor I have been to that has 'praised' clomid as a 'wonder drug'. What other alternatives are there to force ovulation in women?

Thank you-
Jennifer

B. Jacobs, M. D. - September 10

It is most interesting that your new OB thinks metformin is out of datea nd Clomid is a "wonder drug". Clomid is far older than metformin. Metformin is really not ment to induce ovulation, but, as a side effect< can improve ovarian function. If there are no other issues, I suggest my patients uce Femara for ovulation induction. The vast majority of my patients (couples) have more than 1 problem. In most cases, I stimulate ovaries with a product which is the pituitary hormone, FSH. I can make only 2 recommendations to you. One is to read the information I have provided on our web page, <www.texasfertility.com>. The other is to have your infertility evaluated and treated by a Reproductive Ensocrinologist, not an OB.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?