Cancer risks and IVF medication
2 Replies
michelea - December 28

Hi. Thanks for reading this and I apologize if it's a bit long.

I'm 42, have had three IUI's, 2 ivf cycles (one negative and one miscarriage) as well as one miscarriage from natural pregnancy and one miscarriage after IUI. All were very early, egg quality issues were implicated (we did PGD twice). I was on Gonal-f with the IUI's and Bravelle, and Menopur and Antagon on the IVF cycles.

We're coming down to the last IVF cycle covered by insurance and wondering if it will be worth it to do it...We have several considerations to weigh and need some stats.

1. What is the impact of IVF hormones (in general) on the risk for ovarian and/or breast cancer. and (not sure if you can answer this, but) would another cycle significantly increase the risk of cancer.

2. If I don't (ever) get pregnant, what are the stats for increased risk of ovarian cancer, assuming I don't have any other risk factors?

3. I've tested positive for PAI1 4G/5G polymorphism (no other thrombo factors). I've read that birth control pills can lower risk of ovarian cancer in the event that i don't get pregnant, but I was told that given the clotting issue, I can't take them. How much do Birth control pills lower the risk of ovarian/or breast cancer

Is there anything I could read on these issues?

Thanks so much for your help.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - December 29

So far, no one has beeen able to demonstrate an increased risk of ovarian or breast cancer associated with the use of the hormones we use to stimulate ovaries for IVF. There does seem to be an increased risk of ovarian cancer in women who have never been pregnant.
Good luck.

joy - January 18

may it will be 3 time lucky

:)

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?