Canceled iui cycle
5 Replies
faith2006 - May 8

Dr. – I can’t believe my iui cycle just got canceled. I’ve had 3 failed ivf because I’m a poor responder and I’ve tried all the protocols except Antagon. I decided to try iui since we are sure 1 tube is definitely open. With all ivf, I’ve only been able to get 6 follicles and retrieved 3 – 6 eggs.

Ist iui, got 3 follicles, from 15 – 21mm, ended up chemical, 2nd iui 6 follicles ranging from 13 – 17mm (17,17,16,16,15,13mm), E2 was 1593 before HCG, BFN. Now this cycle, same dose of 225iu gonal f twice a day I ended up with 9 follicles from 15 – 20mm and E2 of 2160 so it got canceled. The previous iui my RE was not concerned about multiples because I have egg quality issue so he was just hoping I had 1 viable egg. This time I thought my chances were even better with 9 follicles but then it got canceled. My regular RE is on vacation so another RE made the call. I think my RE would not have canceled it based on my history. I don’t think it’s fair for another RE to make a final call on canceling a cycle without knowledge of your past cycles. I understand any RE just looking at my E2 and # of follicles for iui would cancel the cycle but decisions should be individualized. I’m venting as well as asking for your opinion. Would you have canceled the cycle too?

Thanks
Faith

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - May 8

Without participating in your care, I cannot give you a valid opinion. Talk to your RE when he/she returns.
Good luck.

faith2006 - May 9

Dr Barry - I understand your position. I guess I just needed to vent and in the process have an expert confirm that I was right. I plan on talking to the Dr that canceled the cycle today so hopefully that will give me closure.

In your practice have you ever had to convert iui to ivf? If you have, can you give tell me what factors determine the conversion?

Thanks
Faith

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - May 10

I do not convert IUI cycles to IVF cycles. There are several things I do during and before IVF that I do not routinely do for IUI, because I do not perceive them to be cost effective for IUI.
Good luck.

faith2006 - May 10

Dr Barry – This is just to thank you and your colleagues for this site and taking the time to answer our questions day after day, also to give advice to ladies going through fertility treatment.

After my cycle was canceled, (see previous mail), I was so upset but I felt there was nothing I could do but wait till my regular RE got back from vacation to get an explanation. Well while I was browsing this site, I came across a post from Dr. Smith in the ‘Andrology & Embryology’ forum where he was advising a member to call and talk to her Dr. He said when you have questions about your treatment, the nurses and techs are not the people to ask. For some reason that gave me the courage to request that the RE that canceled my cycle should call me even though the nurse had already given me an explanation and answered some questions. I deserve a proper explanation other than what the nurse told me. I remember asking the nurse if she briefed this RE on my history and she said yes and his decision to cancel is final.

Anyway I called back the next morning and left a message for the Dr to call me. I didn’t trust they would pass the message to him on time so I emailed him (I guessed his email address from other emails at the same hospital). Well he responded by calling me, we talked for about 10 mins, he made me come back for one more b/w and u/s and we ended up not canceling the cycle. I just wanted the ladies out there to make sure you talk to your Dr if you are not satisfied or comfortable with answers you get from the nurses. Nurses are helpful and I understand they are doing their job but you are the patient paying not only financially but also emotionally so make sure you are a satisfied customer. No matter how this cycle ends, I’m glad I made that extra effort to try and get answers from the RE that made the decision to cancel my cycle.

Good luck ladies and God bless.
Faith

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - May 10

GOOD FOR YOU!! I absolutely agree that patients deserve satisfactory answers about their care, and rarely can a nurse or anyone else in the office provide an in depth explanation.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?