Blood clotting disorders and embryo culture
4 Replies
4everhopeful - April 25

Dear Dr Jacob's,

I recently found out by chance, after developing swellings in my joints, post IVF failure, that I have low titre ANA 1:80. When I told my RE she said it could account for why we haven't had any success so far...

She referred me for further tests at Millenova in Chicago, and it turns out that I have DNA problems with MTHFR (heterozygous), Factor X111 (heterozygous) and PAI-1 (homozygous).

To combat the effects of the clotting disorders I've been advised to go on metformin and take extra folic acid (800mcg plus 1mg), though I've heard others with the same problem are taking Folgard, which isn't available in the UK :-\ Do I need to take B12 and B6? Should I be taking more folic acid?

How do you treat clotting disorders? Only nothing was mentioned to me about taking blood thinners :-\ A lady I "talk to" on-line, who has similar DNA problems as me (who is undergoing IVF tx at a clinic in New York), says she has to take clexane. What's the difference between heparin and clexane?

I was also told that our embryo's will now need to be cultured in a specific way (something to do with spinning?), using hyaluron acid G3 series, which apparently no clinic in the UK (where I live) does and that we'll now have to travel to the USA for tx.

I was wondering if you can shed any more light on what this culturing of embryo's is, and why we have to have it, if we're to stand any chance of success.

I'm very confused about all this, and still dumb founded that no one in the UK can help us :-\ ???

Many thanks for all your help,

Nat :)

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - April 25

Apparently folic acid, and other B vitamins can help with clotting disorders, but there are apparently more issue for implantation than clotting. The embryo does not have blood supply when it implants. Apparently the benefit to Heparin is its anti-inflamatory properties. Although I would love to work with you, I do not know anything about the laboratory process you mention. You may wish to ask Dr. Smith on the laboratory board.
Good luck.

4everhopeful - April 25

Thank you for your very prompt reply Dr Jacobs :)

I will add B vitamins to my daily concotion of supplements!

I've asked Dr Smith about the laboratory process, and he wasn't aware of it either, and refered me to you!

Am very confused... :-\

With warmest regards,

Barry Jacobs, M> D. - April 26

I do not claim to know everything, but I do try to keep up with the professional literature. If Dr. Smith is not aware of the laboratory process you mentioned, I doubt that it has been reported in the professional literature. Unfortunately, there are a few who get some unusual ideas and promote them, without adequate scientific basis.
Good luck.

4everhopeful - April 28

Dear Dr Jacob's,

It seems you were so right! I had a phone consultation with my RE in the UK today, who has been in contact with the clinic in Chicago, who were the one's who said we needed specific culturing of our embryo's... Apparently it's based on the research of one embryologist there and is still only in the experimental stages, which is why she said it's not available or known about yet in the UK or US.

Because neither you nor Dr Smith were aware of it, it's prompted me to question why I had no choice but to go to the US for tx.

Now that I know it's only experimental, I'm not sure I want to risk us having to spend more than double for something which is still largely unproven.

I'm always though grateful to any new research, and we haven't ruled out trying this in the future if we go on to suffer more IVF failures, but are hoping to get lucky here first and not need it!

So a big thank you for all the help you have given me :)

With warmest regards,

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?