blastocyst transfer and miscarriage
1 Replies
egd - December 18

Hello,
My wife has had 2 previous miscarriages and 2 ectopic pregnancies which led us down the route to IVF.

The first cycle was unsuccessful due to a problem with the hcg shot, but on the second we had 13 eggs, 6 fertilised normally and 5 made it to blastocyst on day 5.

The clinic delayed transfer to day 6 to determine which were the best and transferred two, one of which was hatching (grade 5AA ) and one was defined only as 'good quality'. The rest apparently were not good enough to freeze.

Happily we tested pregnant following the transfer and have been told there is a reasonably high chance it is twins. However, it is hard to get excited due to being terrified of another miscarriage. Previous miscarriages have both been early 'missed miscarriages' with only a fetal pole found and no baby.

Can we be more confident because of the good quality of the blastocysts that this shouldn't happen to us again ? Or are there embryo quality issues that cannot be seen during IVF and could still be present in a 5AA blastocyst

I'd really appreciate any reassurance or help you can give us. It's been a long and heartbreaking journey this far !

many thanks ...

B. Jacobs, M. D. - December 18

We cannot tell by looking at embryos if they will produce successful pregancy. I check a second hCG level 48 hours after the first positive one. If it at least doubles, it is very reassuring that the pregnancy is good.
Congratulations!

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?