Bacterial vaginosis
12 Replies
MAg - August 10

I have had bacterial vaginosis for a year now and have been treating it with prescribed antibiotics,yogurt, etc...and it never completely goes away. My GYN says some people just can't get rid of it. Now my hubby and I are trying to conceive and I found out that I have PCOS, too. What are the chances of bacterial vaginosis causing blocked fallopian tubes?

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - August 11

The bacterium which commonly causes vaginosis is Gardnerella vaginalis. It does not efffect fallopian tubes. The bateria which are the usual culprets blocking tubes are Chlamidia trachomatis and Neiseria gonnorrhea. None of thes organnisms is associated with poly cystic ovaries.
Good luck.

shanice - December 12

how do you no if it completly away , and if it keep coming back (like bumps ) does that mean you still have it

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - December 13

Frequently the bacterium causing your discharge can be carried by the male partner, without causing him symptoms. You both need to be treated, at the same time. Once you are cleared, the discharge should go away.

emily - January 26

Everytime my boyfriend and I have sex I get this terrible odour for a few days. I have been diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis many times. I read in a book that this may affect cervical fluid hindering pregnancy is there any remedy.
Thank you

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - January 26

The treatment for the organism that causes bacterial vaginosis is metronidozol for BOTH partners, at the same time. It does not change cervical mucus or impair fertility..
Good luck.

Jasmin - February 20

I have had bacterial vaginosis before and everytime me and my partner have intercourse I have this white waterier discharge. How can I stop this discharge?

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - February 21

If you have Gardenerella vaginalis, you both need to be treated with Flagyl, at the same time. Talk to your doctor.
Good luck.

Lucy - March 23

What if you already being treated with Flagyl, and it keep showing up and I have not had sex for months. Please tell me something else I should try because I am tired of going to the doc.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - March 23

Before any treatment recommendation can be offered, a diagnosis must be made - in this case as to organism. I think you need to be re-evaluated.
Good luck.

Nikki - April 4

I have had bv for a while. I got treated with metronizodol and I had 2 sex partners while I had bv. I thought this wasn't a sexually transmitted disease. Do they need to get tested? I always get treated and my boyfriend never gets treated, so could he have passed it back to me and I passed it to my new boyfriend

T.Miller - April 29

I've suffered from bv for a long time. I get treated and it stay away for a while then it comes back. For 2 months my boyfriend and i havent had intercourse and the bv was under control but 2 nights ago we had intercourse and it seems the bv has returned. He has not been treated. So is it possible he needs to get treated? Where i go to get treated the doctor says a male don't carry bv. and theres no need for treating them. On the otherhand so say they do so its very confusing to know it they do or not. How do men go about getting the medication.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - April 29

Men definitely can carry the organism that causes bacterial vaginosis. It produces no symptoms in men. Your boyfriend will have to be treated at the same time you are treated, or you will get reinfeceted.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?