Any suggestions?
4 Replies
LisaF - June 2

Dr.Jacobs,
First of all, thank you for answering so many questions on this board. You are a treasure.

This is my story. We have been TTC for 5 years. I was super obese, had a gastric bypass in 2005. I have lost 231 lbs. and I have maintained a weight of 141 for 10 months. I am 40. I had a cancelled ivf cycle in Sept. 06 because I ovulated on Lupron. I had a chemical pregancy in November (using antagon). We were told to adopt or live child free but had a spontaneous pregancy in December. Our daughter was born prematurely on March 9th and died. I had a uterine infection and had an emergency D and C. Now, after having an hsg, both of my tubes are blocked. So, we are doing another IVF cycle in June. I had tons of blood work done and the RE said that I need to take a baby aspirin because I tested in the "indeterminate" level of a clotting disorder. This will be the last ivf for us. My insurance ran out a long time ago and paying for all of this has become taxing...you understand. Anyway. I want to know if there is ANYTHING else that I can do to make this cycle sucessful? I eat organic meats, vegetables, and fruits. I take pre natals, B12, folic acid, and calcium citrate. I read on these board all the time about taking zinc, meditating, acupuncture, prayer, eating pineapple, and drinking different teas. In your medical opinion, is there anything else that can be done? I am open to anything at this point. I just want to do the best that I can.

Again, thank you,
Lisa

B. Jacobs, M. D. - June 3

I am sorry you have had such a tragic experience. Please understand that even though you have achieved a great deal, your potential, at the age of 40, for one of your eggs to create an embryo that will even implant is only about 6%. Your healthy life style cannot change that. Your best opportunity for a healthy pregnancy is to use an egg donor.
Good luck.

LisaF - June 3

My RE said that since I had been pregnant 2 times prior, both at 39 that my chances are closer to 25-30%. I think you are very wrong in your low percentage.

LisaF - June 3

Also, I only asked you if there was anything that I could add to my regimine. I should have asked my RE this question since HE has my medical history in depth. HE has the numbers of the labs, HE has followed me...AND he is the one that I specifically asked percentages of my ability to concieve. Since you don't have all of this information, I honestly think that it is presumtuous of you to throw out a number without having all the information. I asked if teas, massage, acupuncture, ect...could be helpful.

Good luck ladies that read this board. I hope that you ALWAYS consult the doctor that you entrust your physical body with first.

Lisa F

B. Jacobs, M. D. - June 4

The data I cited for you are published by the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technologies, not my guess. I would not presume to interfere with your RE.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?