Alternative to Lupron therapy
3 Replies
marie40 - December 5

Dr. Jacobs,
I have a 2cm fibroid that is blocking my left tube that I would like to have removed so I can get pregnant naturally without IVF. My surgeon suggest to shrink the fibroid with Lupron 3.75 mg. It is an IM injection that is given once per month. He said I should need to take for 2 to 3 months. I agree with shrinking the fibroid however, I called Lupron and they said it takes about 4 to 8 weeks for my period to return.I would imagine after that it will take a couple of cycles for me to start ovulating again. I would like to try and get pregnant and I'm 41 yrs old. Is there an alternative to Lupron to shrink fibroids and my period would come back sooner? What about the BCP? I read about add back therepy using the BCP. Would that make my period come back sooner?

I have tried IVF however now my insurance that paid for IVF has expired. We cannot afford IVF now.
I would appreciate any advice.

Marie

B. Jacobs, M. D. - December 5

Even if Lupron does shrink the fibroid, after the Lupron is discontinued, the fibroid will return to its original size in a very short time. The only way to get rid of it is to remove it, surgically. Even so, that may not be your best effort to become pregnant.
Good luck.

marie40 - December 5

My doctor is not prescribing Lupron as an alternative to surgery. Surgery to remove the fibroid will happen when the fibroid has decreased. I have read alot of articles that states the fibroids will come back after discontinuing the Lupron. What I'm asking is if there are other medications that will shrink the fibroid that will not stay in my system as long as Lupron does.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - December 5

Lupron can be administered as a daily injection, or amonthly depot injection. I know of no other product as effective a Lupron to temporarily shrink fibroids.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?